It’s been a fun ride this last year. Certainly have had a lot of interesting experiences along the way. As I come up with ways to share them with you, I’ll leave you with this for now.
Change of plans on this last project.. About $5k down the drain but at least I can recoup maybe $10k from selling the now-complete kit.
You’re probably wondering why the change of heart?
- Plan before you build — broke this one. Would have never even started had I known what the city requires in permitting (a lot).
- Hire the right help. Licensed contractor helps, they at least have to lookout for their license. I didn’t follow this one either, and while it’s totally my bad, I still feel like I got taken for a ride a little. Nothing against the other fella. Talk about a flashback to the eCommerce business a few years back with the “partnership” deal (shudder).
- Preliminary Land Partition pretty much done, onto Final Plat stage then to figure out how I am going to extract the equity out of the 2 lots.
- Ran into extra snags. When the city sewer connection was pulled up in 1994, a (from what I was told shady) sewer company abandoned but did no decommission the septic tanks. The city has no record of decommissioning, so the burden of proof falls on me. This is also a requirement for the land partition, so no way avoiding it now. I did some digging.
- Tried calling, and even going over to the old plumbers place of business (he was “unavailable”). Highly doubt he would have records from 17 years ago anyways.
- Pulled a chain of title on this property back to 1980’s and tracked the owners down in Santa Cruz, California and spoke to an older lady. She said yes they did own that property. The husband was always “at work” every time I called, now they are dodging my calls. I also got their email, with no response. Maybe they are on vacation at this time of the year? I’m giving them the benefit of the doubt and think it could be a coincidence and I’m just calling at a bad time. But at this point it is what it is.
- I realized I was drifting away from my goal. While a temp shop would have been super for what it was intended for, I knew it was time to cut my losses before I sank more time and cash into it. So I’m pulling out.
So at this point, I just need to sell the shop kit. Then take care of the septic tank issue and continue the Land Partition and piling up cash money.
What are my approchaes to the septic tank challenge?
- Called a Realtor of mine, he mentioned he was going to talk to some Title Companies and do some digging. Apparently Title Companies have record research departments and can be resourceful at times.
- Got a tank “locator” out here, but they apparently just use a video camera to “scope” the location. But with the old pipes missing, that was a no-go. That was $95 (discounted since he didn’t really help).
- Called my Land Use gal, she may know a few folks that can find it.
It looks like it’s inevitable that I will just have to completely tare up a chunk of my yard. Should be fun!
I am having fun learning this silly stuff though. Should be a piece of cake someday. By the way… some city workers are total dicks. Some actually try to go out of their way to help.
Until next time. Cheers.